Doing This Will Help You To Feel Happier In Your Job, Experts Say

Do you remember how you felt on the first day of your job? After acing the interview process and making it through the reference checks, chances are you were excited, ready for a new challenge and inspired to learn. Fast-forward to the present day and how do you feel about your job now?

In a recent Huffington Post article, founder Arianna Huffington raised the issue of workplace ‘burnout’, explaining that stress and over-working is increasingly becoming an issue in Western society. “The CDC estimates that 75 percent of all health care spending is on chronic illnesses like these that can be prevented,” Huffington wrote. “According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, two-thirds of visits to the doctor’s office are for stress-related conditions.”

Not only is work-related stress and exhaustion bad for our health, but it of course has a significant impact on our job satisfaction. According to a  2013 report by Gallup, only 30 percent of Americans genuinely feel engaged at work, while the remaining 70 percent feel bored, exhausted or drained.

While this may sound kind of… bleak, a recent study claims to have actually found a way to avoid burnout. While it may sound easier said than done, the study found that ignoring the negativity of colleagues is actually the best way to stay productive and positive about your job.

The study followed the lives of 596 nurses from Canada, asking participants to complete two different surveys throughout the year. The results showed that nurses who were able to ignore workplace drama (disrespect, gossip and rudeness) were far less likely to experience burnout than those who allowed themselves to get involved in it. Overall, those who were able to ignore their coworkers were happier in their jobs, more motivated and productive.

So the moral of the story? If you are feeling bogged-down by work, stressed anxious or simply even unmotivated, taking some time away from toxic coworkers and putting those headphone in could be exactly what you need to help you to love your job as much as you did on day one.

Read next: The Job Application Hack That Could Increase Your Chances Of Getting Hired by Up To 40%

 

Image Credits: Instagram @harperandharley


WANT MORE? JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER!


Don't Miss out on anything with your weekly M2woman Mailer. With the best Fashion, Beauty And News articles from around the world. We even include special subscription offers on all our products.