Eight years ago the world went into shock when Heath Ledger died from an overdose of perscription drugs and was found dead in his New York Apartment. Since Ledger’s passing, heartbroken fans have known little about the actor’s final days, however in a recent interview with News.com.au, Ledger’s father Kim finally opened up about what happened in the days leading up to the death.
The night before the actor died, Kim says that Heath’s sister Kate warned him how dangerous mixing his medication was.“She told him, ‘You can’t mix drugs that you don’t know anything about. You shouldn’t mix what you’re taking for pneumonia with your ambien,'” says Kim. To which Heath responded, “Katie, Katie, I’ll be fine”.
Kim says that those were the last words the family ever heard his son speak and the following day Heath was found dead with the post-mortem finding he’d overdosed from a combination of prescription drugs.
Kim says that he thinks Heath was mixing his medication because he was trying to do too much. “He was a young guy that travelled all the time for work. Even as a two-year-old, he hardly ever slept. He was trying to work and travel and do everything in a short space of time.” The final combination, “just put his whole system to sleep I guess,” said Kim.
When it comes to telling Heath’s daughter, Matilda, about how her father died, Kim said the family have left the decision of when to tell her up to her mother, Michelle Williams.
Absolutely heartbreaking. RIP Heath. We will never stop missing your cheeky smile.
Image Credits: Instagram