If you’re a vegetarian or a vegan you’re probably pretty familiar with the humble chick pea and tofu – one of my favourite things about them is how versatile they are when it comes to cooking. While I was sifting through Pinterest trying to find some new ideas for vegetarian dinners I came upon a recipe for a vegetarian and vegan friendly chickpea, tofu and spinach curry by a couple of food bloggers called Cocoon Cooks.
Here’s their recipe for a delicious warming dinner idea, you can also check out their blog here.
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
2 fairly large garlic cloves, center germ removed and crushed with a garlic crusher
2 tbsp ( or more! ) fresh ginger, grated
8 dried unsulfured apricots, diced
3 heaped tbsp curry powder
2 400ml. cans coconut milk
1 can 520ml. + 1 can 400ml. chickpeas, drained and rinsed
500 gr. firm tofu, patted dry and cut into cubes
3 cups packed baby spinach
2 tsp coarse sea salt
a few sprigs of coriander
a squeeze of lime juice
STEP BY STEP
Start by gathering, measuring, chopping, crushing, grating, draining, and cubing all of the ingredients. This will improve your dynamic in the kitchen.
- Heat up the coconut oil in a wide pot on medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and apricots and sautée for a few minutes, until the onion is translucent and soft.
- Add curry powder and mix it in well with the rest of the ingredients. Allow the spices to toast for a minute without letting them stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the coconut milk and season with sea salt, mixing well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the spinach), let it come to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer. These are all ingredients that need only 5 to 8 minutes to heat up and absorb the flavours. By then, the coconut milk will also have reduced and become a creamy and velvety sauce.
- Add the spinach leaves one cup at a time and mix them in right before turning off the heat. They will wilt down in a matter of seconds, and your curry will be ready to serve!
Image Credits: Cocoon Cooks