Any beauty guru will tell you that highlighting is a must-do step in your makeup routine. Before we get into the fun part, it’s back to basics where we look at what the latest obsession is about – adding this glow to your face. The great thing is, highlighting is not a seasonal trend and luckily for us it can be used all year-round.
Think about highlighting as adding life to your face, when your skin is looking a bit dull or you’ve stayed up too late watching Netflix the night before. We already know that contouring emphasises bone structure and shapes your face. Now, the next step is making your face glow. The key is to not over-do the glow, but rather to make the high points of your face stand out, like your cheekbones and under-brow highlight. It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or expert, this guide will give you the need to know tips and tricks when it comes to highlighting.
Let’s start with the products. When it comes to highlighting there are an endless amount of creams and powders that can help you achieve perfect glowy skin so that you can look and feel radiant.
Bobbi Brown have created the Highlighting powder and Shimmer brick as “your two best friends” for highlighting. To suit different skin tones, these products are available in different shades and pigments. From pink to bronze, the highlighting powder is perfect to use on your cheekbones to add a sunkissed glow. Even better, their top-rated shimmer brick has layers of glowy goodness that can add not only one, but five unique pigments to your face. Use these products with your fingers, angled blush brush or a fan brush to dust shimmers onto the high points of your face.
Moving away from powders, NYX cosmetics have created liquid illuminators that can add a more intense glow to your face. Wear it alone or over foundation on your cheekbones to illuminate the glow. This lightweight illuminator is available in four different pigments so can perfectly match any skin tone. The liquid illuminator looks amazing underneath makeup and for an extra intense glow you can add a powder highlight over the top for it to stand out.
If you’re a fan of shimmer and pearls, Guerlain have released their new Meteorites collection with stardust technology that uses microspheres (diamond dust!) to transform light invisible to the naked eye into a skin-enhancing halo. You will be looking and feeling radiant. Plus, the Baby Glow Touch is so easy and fun to use!
Tips and tricks to really make your glow pop:
- Use an illuminator under your foundation, then go the extra mile and add a powder highlight over the top.
- Slightly dampening or using a setting spray on your brush and then picking up the powder highlight will make your glow stand out.
- Add some highlighter to the top of your cupid’s bow to make your lips appear fuller.
Mistakes to avoid looking like a disco ball:
- Overdoing your highlight. Even though we are all tempted to smear the pot of glittery goodness over our faces, it’s important to realise when enough is enough.
- If you did end up getting carried away, simply use your powder brush to settle down the glow if it’s too much.
- You’re looking too oily. Make sure you’ve set the highlight with a bit of translucent powder to keep the shine at a minimum.
- The glow isn’t quite coming through. Have you double checked that you’re using the right shade or tone for your complexion?
It’s quick to add, easy to use and will definitely make you stand out in a crowd. It’s a beauty must have to add into your collection.