When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade right? Well that’s what Beyonce has gone and done with her latest visual album/cinematic masterpiece/spellbinding emotional experience, “Lemonade”.
While it explores important and heavy topics such as race, class, gender and feminism, the theme that has caught everyone’s attention is the emphasis on infidelity. Some argue it’s about Jay Z (because who could forget that infamous elevator incident) and others claim that it’s based on Beyonce’s parents’ relationship.
Whatever the truth may be, it’s no secret that “Lemonade” has some seriously emotionally devastating lyrics that will stun you, empower you and may even inspire you.
- “I smell your secret, and I’m not too perfect to ever feel this worthless/ How did it come down to this? Going through your call list/ I don’t wanna lose my pride, but I’ma f–k me up a bitch” – Hold Up
- “You remind me of my father, a magician… able to exist in two places at once/ In the tradition of men in my blood, you come home at 3 a.m. and lie to me. What are you hiding?/ The past and the future merge to meet us here. What luck. What a f–king curse.” – Hold Up
- “Middle fingers up, put them hands high/ Wave it in his face, tell him, boy, bye/ Tell him, boy, bye, middle fingers up/ I ain’t thinking ‘bout you” – Sorry
- “Looking at my watch, he shoulda been home/ Today I regret the night I put that ring on/ He always got them f–king excuses” – Sorry
- “Who the f–k do you think I am?/ You ain’t married to no average bitch boy/ And keep your money, I got my own” – Don’t Hurt Yourself
- “You know I give you life. If you try this sh-t again you’re gonna lose your wife.” – Don’t Hurt Yourself
- “I’ve always been committed, I’ve been focused/ I always paid attention, been devoted, tell me what did I do wrong?” – Love Drought