For all the wanderlusts that roam this wondrous planet we call Earth, here are some fun and not-so-fun facts about “economic” flying that you ought to know.
- There’s 15 minutes of oxygen from the point of pulling the masks down. A worryingly short period, yes, but that’s enough time for the pilot to get to a lower altitude where you can breathe normally.
- The lights dim upon landing so that your eyes are adjusted to the dark in case an emergency evacuation is required after landing.
- Plane food – yuck. Pilots are served different meals and are not allowed to share in the case of food poisoning.
- According to those in the business, after telling the passengers to turn off all electronic devices, flight attendants pull out their own phones. If you were listening in science class, you would already know that it doesn’t bring a plane does, it just interferes with the navigation and communication systems from their electromagnetic radiation.
- Pilots take turns napping on long haul flights on horizontal beds.
- Tray tables are not always disinfected – keep your food on the paper tray as some babies have been changed on them!
- Simply put, planes are dirty. On some airlines, the blankets and pillows are re-used.