These mini vanilla cakes are topped with flavoursome icings and are the perfect treat size. This recipe is from Keryn’s Kitchen, who also gave us the epic Lewis Creamery Road Mocha Cake recipe a few weeks ago!
Mini Vanilla Cakes with Mocha and Salted Caramel Icing
For the cake
½ C milk
3 eggs, room temperature and lightly beaten
1 C caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ C flour
¼ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
For the mocha icing
1 tbsp boiling water
1-2 tbsp instant coffee granules
100g butter, well softened
½ C icing sugar
50g dark chocolate, roughly chopped and melted
30g dark chocolate shards (to decorate)
For the salted caramel icing
1/8 C white sugar
1 tbsp water
1/8 C pouring cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
50g butter, softened
¼ tsp salt
½ C icing sugar
For the salted caramel sauce
¼ C brown sugar
1/3 C pouring cream
Pinch of salt
For the toffee shards
2 tbsp water
¼ – ½ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 150C. Line 1-2 muffin tins with paper cases (I made these myself by cutting squares out of baking paper according to the size of the tray, cutting inwards at each corner to fit them inside each cupcake hole).
2. Soften the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer, and mash with a fork until smooth. Add the eggs, caster sugar, vanilla extract, and the milk. Sieve the remaining dry ingredients into the bowl and beat on low for 15-20 seconds until lightly combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and beat on high until smooth, taking care not to over mix.
3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tray and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean once inserted. Remove the mini cakes from the oven and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
4. To make the mocha icing, cream together the softened butter and icing sugar. Dissolve the coffee with the boiling water and add to the butter mixture along with the melted chocolate. Mix until smooth.
5. To make the salted caramel icing, stir together the white sugar and water in a small saucepan on medium heat. Bring the mixture to the boil and cook until the mixture becomes golden brown. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the cream and vanilla with a wooden spoon until smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool to room temperature. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cooled salted caramel mixture and mix until combined.
6. To make the salted caramel sauce, place the brown sugar and cream in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Stir in the salt and pour the mixture into a bowl. Set aside to cool and refrigerate until the mixture becomes thick enough to pipe.
7. To make the caramel toffee shards, line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat without stirring. When the mixture turns golden brown, pour it onto the baking tray in a thin layer and lightly sprinkle with the salt before it sets.
8. To decorate the mocha cakes, use a palette knife to ice a thin to medium layer of mocha icing around the top of the mini cakes. Pipe around the outer edge of the cake twice using a round nozzle. Sprinkle the chocolate shards around the edge of the cakes.
9. To decorate the salted caramel mini cakes, use a palette knife to ice a thin to medium layer of salted caramel icing around the top of the mini cakes. Pipe the salted caramel icing around the outer edge of the cake using a round nozzle. With a new piping bag, pipe a second round, this time with the cooled and chilled salted caramel sauce.
10. Top each cake with an edible flower and toffee shard.
Image Credits: Keryn's Kitchen