First we brought you the sweet potato pizza base and now there is a new kid on the gluten-free pizza base block. Meet the quinoa pizza base from Simply Quinoa. As we all know quinoa is amazing. Not only is it suitable for our gluten-intolerant buddies, but it is also high in protein, calcium, magnesium, manganese, B vitamins, vitamin E and dietary fibre.
This pizza base isn’t just good for you, but it is also ridiculously easy to make, requiring only five ingredients. Go stock up on extra cheese, because once you try this recipe you won’t want to eat anything else. Ever.
- ¾ cup quinoa, covered by 2.5cm of water and soaked for 6 – 8 hours (or overnight)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Soak the quinoa in water, covering it by at least 2.5cm of water and soaked for 6 – 8 hours (or overnight)
- Once you’re ready to make the crust, preheat oven to 215 degrees. Line a cake pan with parchment paper and drizzle one tablespoon of oil in the center. Spread around with your hands until evenly coated and set pan aside.
- Thoroughly rinse quinoa, then add to a blender. Add remaining ingredients and blend on high until smooth and creamy. This should resemble a thick pancake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove, flip and return to oven baking for another 10 – 15 minutes until browned and edges are crispy.
- Top with sauce, cheese and any other toppings you’d like and bake for 12 – 15 minutes until cheese has melted and started to brown.
- Remove, let cool for a few minutes in the pan, transfer cutting board and slice.
- Garnish with herbs, pepper flakes, grated cheese, etc., and serve immediately!