There’s many things in this world that I will never understand, and people who stand other people up is one of those things. Like seriously, just call and cancel peopleeeee.
But as the old saying goes, every cloud really does have a silver lining and turns out that getting stood up is sometimes the best possible thing that can happen to you.
To share stories of their ultimate silver lining, 7 people took to Reddit to once and for all prove to the world that when one door closes, another door opens.
1. “I got stood up by a girl who was supposed to have called me. I got pissed off and grabbed a friend to hit up some bars and pool halls. I ran into a girl I knew who dated a different friend. She was with another girl. Me and that girl will be married for seven years this summer.”
2. “When I got stood up twice by the same guy in one month last year, not only did I realize he doesn’t deserve me, but my mom took me out for pizza and ice cream both times!”
3. “My friend stood me up for dinner, so I was sitting at a table all by myself. A really cute guy in the bar right across from the table came over and started a conversation with me. We ended up dating for a bit, but it really did not go anywhere. The fact that being stood up led to a date with a cute guy was pretty cool, though.”
4. “I got stood up for a dinner date. I tried calling her, but couldn’t get through. I called her home, and her mom told me that she left the house an hour ago. I was really worried and didn’t know what to do, so I just kept waiting for two hours – I was young and naive. However, it turned out that there was a massive subway problem, and she was stuck in a tunnel for almost two hours. She eventually showed up, and we had dinner!”
5. “It was Valentine’s Day in college. I spent 6 hours tying to get ahold of my girlfriend. Her RA said she was in her room. The RA let me in the dorm, and I knocked on her door. Three minutes later, a man in a cowboy hat answered. I delivered $100 of gifts right onto her messy bed, said f––– you and left. The RA takes me to her room where we talk about it. I then hooked up with the RA.”
6. “I got stood up and decided to go to a local electronics store and buy something to cheer myself up. Turned out they were having a free raffle that day. I won a free PlayStation 3!”
7. “I was supposed to meet my friend at a nightclub, and he didn’t show up. I was upset, but figured I had already paid the cover to get in, so I might as well stay for a while. A guy I struck up a random conversation with introduced me to his friend, and we really hit it off well. We talked, danced and drank together for the rest of the night. I got her number, and we went on a few dates afterwards. We have since been together for 10 years, married for 6 of them, and just had our first, wonderful baby boy last year.”