Researchers Have Found An Alarming Link Between Hair Dye And Cancer
A new study has suggested, that rather worryingly, many common salon hair treatments including hair dye, could increase the risk of breast cancer.
Research done at Rutgers University recently published a study that showed an alarming increase when women used dark hair dye and chemical relaxers. Using these treatments increased the chances of developing the disease by a sizable margin.
While the use of any kind of chemical product on your body comes with some sort of risk, this risk wasn’t previously known. The experts asked more than 4,000 women in the US about their use of hair dye, relaxing and using deep conditioning creams.
They then had a look at medical records to see if these products had increased breast cancer risks. However, they still haven’t figured out why exactly dark hair dye poses a particular risk. It has been suggested it could be to do with DNA damage. Or the body absorbing the chemicals from the hair.
The Cancer Foundation have set out a few guidelines for anyone who is worried about hair dye but want to continue dying their hair.
- Follow directions on the packaged and look out for “caution” and “warning” notes.
- Do a patch test before use.
- Wear gloves when applying dye
- Don’t leave the dye on your head longer than instructed.
- Rinse your scalp thoroughly after use.
- Don’t mix different dye products.
Another option is looking in to using hair dye’s made using vegetable products. These don’t contain the same harmful chemicals.
You’ll also like:
- Could Your Yoga Mat Be Affecting Your Fertility Chances?
- More Major Health Benefits Have Just Been Linked To Exercising
- New Study Finds That This Common Habit Could Quadruple Your Chance Of Getting A STD
- 7 Little Known Breast Cancer Warning Signs Your Doctor Wants You To Know About
- Experts Say That Eating These 4 Foods Will Make You Live Longer