Could Your Yoga Mat Be Affecting Your Fertility Chances?
Some scary new information has come out that shows your trusty yoga mat may be having a negative impact on your fertility.
A new study has found there’s a link between a certain chemical found in most yoga mats and the chance women have of conceiving. The chemical organophosphate flame retardants (PFRs), are placed in a polyurethane foam that’s also present in other items like upholstered sofas, baby products, and building materials to make them less flammable.
The researchers studied a group of women who were undergoing IVF treatment over 10 years. They found that 80 per cent of the women had that chemical in their urine.
They found that the women who had this chemical in their body had a 10 per cent reduced chance of the IVF treatment working. As well as being 41 per cent less likely to become pregnant.
The study noted that if you were planning on undergoing IVF treatment to try and limit your exposure to the product. They also noted there still needs to be more studies done on the effects flame retardants can have on male fertility.
While this is interesting, (and slightly scary) new information, this is the first study of its kind so unless you’re trying to conceive right now daily-use of your yoga mat should be fine.
If you are worried about the effect your yoga mat is having on your fertility. Check out the market for organic yoga mats that are formaldehyde-free.
You’ll also like:
- Trying For a Baby? Science Says This One Emotion Is Majorly Affecting Your Chances
- Science Reveals Whether Yoga Is An Effective Form Of Cardio
- Experts Say That This Is The Real Age When It Becomes Difficult For Women To Conceive
- 5 Small Lifestyle Changes That Will Help To Improve Your Fertility
- Science Says That Pregnancy Problems Are More Common For Women Carrying Babies Of This Gender