Iced Coffee is the Healthier Alternative
Iced Coffee is better for you than hot coffee – but only if it’s cold brew.
Cold brew coffee was made popular in the 1960s by the Toddy system where ground coffee is steeped in water for 12 hours. When heat is applied to coffee beans, they release acidic oils. Cold brew means that the coffee is naturally sweeter and better for our stomachs as it only has a third of the acidity levels that hot coffee has. Also, the high temperature burns the coffee beans, which in turn, destroys its beneficial antioxidants.
Science and Food UCLA said, “oxidation and degradation also occur more rapidly at higher temperatures. The oils in coffee solubles can oxidize more quickly at elevated temperatures, causing coffee to taste sour. Acids also degrade, the most notable of which is chlorogenic acid into quinic and caffeic acid, causing coffee to taste bitter.”
So not only is cold brew healthier for you, it also tastes significantly better.
It’s also super easy to make. Simply use a French press with water at room temperature and let it steep overnight.
It’s extra-cold, extra-strong and extra-smooth with a less bitter finish and more delicate flavour than hot coffee.
You’ll also like:
- Adding This 30-Second Step Into Your Morning Routine Will Help You Feel More Awake All Day
- Science Says We Should Be Sleeping In This Surprising Way
- Your Favourite Morning Ritual Might Be Slowing Down The Ageing Process
- Being A Coffee Addict May Help You Live Longer
- Eating More Fats Could Be The Answer To Your Diet Problems